Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hitting Left-Handed and Other Cool Things My Dad Taught Me

This is my Dad...John Stone. People used to call him Big John.  
I've always looked up to him. I still do. Here are few really cool things my Dad taught me.

He taught me to fish...how to tie the knot...how to catch it and clean it. He gave me a knife and a sheath I wore on my hip. He even gave me a rattlesnake "bite kit" that had a razor and some suction cups? That scared me. I think I was eight or nine. Here I am a few years later. 
 
I love fishing.

My Dad taught me baseball...my favorite game to this day. But more than just teaching me to throw and catch and the rules of the game he made me learn how to hit left-handed so I could drag bunt if needed.

That is a GIF if you want to see me round first and leg out a double watch the video below.


I can't recall ever having bunted but I sure do love to swing the bat lefty. It brings me joy.


























Here is a song about baseball I sing at auditions sometimes.
What You'd Call A Dream 

He gave me the gift of critical thinking.
He taught me chess and we'd play together. It was far more challenging than any video game. After pondering my next move I'd slowly pick up the piece and place it (without removing my hand of course) and with a tiny smile on his lips while I was still thinking he'd say, "Are you sure you want to make that move?"

We'd watch and discuss shows like 60 Minutes and Nova and he listened to my thoughts on the topics. Even though I was a kid he made me feel my input was valuable.

My Dad taught me about honesty, saying if I always told him and Mom the truth, things would be okay.
So, when I broke the garage window for the 3rd time (practicing pitching) even after being told not to do that specific thing I knew I had to go to the front yard (where he was cutting the grass) and immediately tell him.  I don't even think he got mad. He just fixed it...again.
As a corollary to this he showed me it is perfectly acceptable to admit you are or have been wrong and there is courage and strength in doing that.

He taught me many other things as well of course but probably the most valuable thing I learned was the following...

When you find the love of your life you stick with her.

 Thanks Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment