Saturday, May 11, 2013

So you are thinking of going to college for a Musical Theatre degree

I love musical theater. It is what I have to do. I even believe it is what I am supposed to do. So I get it. I really do. It came to me through Frank Demiero...this guy.
image
He came into my grade school music class and asked if anyone wanted to audition for a show called "Amahl and the Night Visitors." Not really knowing what any of that meant I raised my hand....sang and was cast. This is what followed.
image

Nice glove and hair right?
The experience was wonderful, challenging and enlightening. In retrospect, it was life changing. By the time I reached 17 years old I knew I wanted to be an actor and was considering college choices. My Dad called and spoke to the head of the theater department for the University of Washington. Thanks Dad that was cool. The advice I received was to spend as much time as I could "on the boards." He suggested I enroll in Shoreline Community College which had a good musical theatre program where I might get stage time. Apparently, the underclassmen at UW weren't often cast in shows. Following the suggestion I enrolled at S.C.C. and promptly was cast in "Charlie's Aunt." The advice was good.
Eventually I transferred to the UW and graduated with an English degree. It was my backup plan.  Acting classes and vocal lessons have been helpful but the majority of learning my craft and the depth of it have come from time spent on the stage...in rehearsal and with the audience. The audience is integral and while you do have an audience of peers in the classroom it is not the same.
So why am I writing all this?
I feel uncomfortable with the amount of money colleges are charging for a degree in Musical Theatre.
You see, I understand the economics of being an actor. Being a professional actor, specializing in musical theatre, is not an easy way to make a living. Jobs end constantly. Shows close unexpectedly and way too many people want to do your job for free. In fact, some people will even pay a very large sum of money just to wear the costumes and be on stage for a few minutes. They are called "Walk -Ons." (I am not certain of that spelling.) I learned this while doing The Music Man at the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle.
Here is an awesome clip of our backstage warm-up.  You gotta watch it...it's cool.

My college experience from Shoreline Community College to the University of Washington was a fantastic, enriching and wonderful time and I don't want to discourage anyone from furthering their education. But when I hear what they are charging for a musical theatre degree I scratch my head and wonder how someone can ever pay that back working on stage? In the mid 90's when production contracts on the road were plenty and the cost of a college degree was significantly lower it made some sense to me but I am wary for the next generation of young performers. I see the joy on their faces when they tell me what college they got into and it warms my heart. I am excited for the journey of learning and exploration they are about to embark upon and then I worry about how they will pay that debt off and I hope that they have a full ride scholarship.
One time while catching a beer at McCann's at Port Authority in NY waiting for my bus home after my show I ran into an old theatre friend who introduced me as, "The guy who made it."
That surprised me. Took me off-guard really cause that was not how I felt. But I suppose to him I had. I was working on Broadway. Still though, I was struggling to pay my bills and my show was closing.
So follow your dreams my friends. Do that thing that you simply must do but please don't shackle yourself to a mountain of debt. It's not necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment