Thursday, October 4, 2018

Spirit of Puget Sound...shopper shopper song

I was working as a singing waiter on The Spirit of Puget Sound when I landed Jesus Christ Superstar with Village Theatre. They wanted me to grow a beard to play Jesus. This was my first big role in the region.
I was very excited and a little scared.
The problem was that The Spirit of Puget Sound had a no facial hair policy. Imagine that. A No facial hair policy in Seattle. Yes, this was 1993. I really liked my job and needed the income but I couldn't turn down the Village offer. Thankfully, The Spirit team were really cool and offered me an office job answering inside sales calls. That job had no facial hair restrictions although now I was to wear slacks, a button up shirt and a tie from 8am to 5pm then drive to Issaquah and start rehearsals for JCS at night.
It was exhausting and perfect.
Sales is not an easy job but with inside sales at least the customer is interested in the product and calling YOU to find out information. That's much easier.
But, I still had to learn all the up-sales and packages that we offered. Thankfully I already knew the details of the ship as you had to know that, she displaces 6 feet of water, is 165 feet long. She operates 2 twin catterpiller...blah blah.
It was a lot of information to learn but I was a young college graduate from UW.
I could handle it.
I even liked working in the office. Sure, I had to wake up at an ungodly time and wear uncomfortable clothing but I was working and moving up in the world.
My co-worker at inside sales was mortified by secret shoppers!!!
Being tested frequently on her knowledge of the ship and of the up-sale packages made her nervous.
So, I made up a song called "The Shopper Song."
The phone would ring and every 10th or 11th time she'd look at me with fear in her eyes and say, "I know this one's a shopper."
Cue: The Shopper Song.
"Shopper Shopper Shopper Shopper
  Duh nuh nuh NUH
  Shopper Shopper Shopper Shopper
  Duh nuh nuh NUH"
It was some of my best work at the time.
We'd laugh. She'd pick up the phone and all was fine.
After a couple of months a lead sales position opened up and I was interviewing for the job.
I had a shot even though I was young.
One day my co-worker was having a particularly difficult time. She'd had a poor shop score the week before and was stressed out about it.
The phone at her desk rang and she gave me a distressed look.
"It's a shopper, I know it is."
CUE: The Shopper Song.
I decided to step things up and add a dance to The Shopper Song.
It wasn't much. You know just a little wiggle with fisty arm pumps.
Your basic guy dancing at a wedding.
She started to giggle.
I saw that the dance was taking The Shopper Song to new heights so I took IT to new heights by stepping up on my chair and onto my desk.
The Shopper Song and/Dance was in full effect.
And it was working.
My co-worker smiled and picked up the phone.
And the president of The Spirit of Puget Sound walked into the office.
I froze.
Standing on my desk, hands clenched in a perfect 1993 awkward male dance.
My phone rang.
I quickly stepped down,
"Spirit of Puget Sound this is Greg, how may I be of assistance?"
I didn't get the promotion.
But I KNOW I made an impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment