Monday, September 14, 2020

Witch Melt

Lunch is called
Noah and I burst onto the Seattle streets dashing through pedestrians racing to the bank
Paychecks gripped tightly
we nervously wait in line
shifting foot to foot
till cash in hand
we slam it in our wallets and bolt back 
giddy with laughter and excitement
1994
The Wizard of Oz
The 5th Avenue Theatre
Ensemble
Turns out there wasn't much they could do with me
Not being a dancer and too tall for a munchkin
In the first act I sang "Ooooohs" offstage
Didn't care
I had a job and it paid
My only moment on stage was in The Merry Old Land of Oz
But when we got to blocking The Winkie part of the story
You know
Oh-Ee-Yah! Ee-Oh-Ah!
I thought, Now I get my chance
I could play a Winkie guard
Practically born to play the part
The director scanned the cast
"Okay, I need someone big and tall for this part," he muttered to his assistant
I made sure to pull my shoulders back and stand straight
He walked by slowly and paused in front of me
Placing his hand on my shoulder
"You," he said. "You'll do"
Yes!
"Apparently it costs something ridiculous for the hydraulics in this next part. Well, we just can't afford it soooooo," his voice lowered and he looked me in the eye
"I need you"
Yes!?
"I need you...to be the Witch Melt"
Confusion
He sighed, "I need you to crawl under the stage and when they throw the water on the witch!" (he imitated a throwing motion) "YOU will be under the stage unlocking and opening a hatch. Our witch, Mavis,(another flourish) will crawl onto your shoulders as you slowly sway back and forth while she screams and DISAPPEARS!"
He shouts to the cast
"So, I'm not going to be a Winkie then?"
"No, but you WILL be saving us $50,000 so I'd say it's a crucial part," he said with a chuckle
So, in my 5th Avenue debut
I sang in an off-stage mic
Performed in The Merry Old Land of Oz
and was the Witch Melt mechanism
BUT
a few things happened along the way that I'll never forget
One night I was invited to play cards after the show
It was late
I'd lost what little money I brought to the game
Character actor Michael Mulheren (The Cowardly Lion)
chewing on a cigar turned to me and said, "Kid. You're good looking. You can sing. Why not go to New York?"
I hadn't thought of such a thing 
Never entered my mind
New York?
"Really?" I asked but he just shrugged
Huh! New York 
Why...not...go...to New York?!
Next day during tech I found myself standing next to veteran actor Bob Fitch (Scarecrow) and told him about this new idea of going to The Big Apple
"Just make sure you get seen," he said. "I don't care if it's a cabaret or an off-broadway showcase or in someone's living room just FIND a way to get seen!"
He eyed me a moment then pulled a 50 cent piece from his pocket
It began to dance along his knuckles
Back and forth the coin moved before disappearing with a puff of breath
"and have a little trick in your pocket. Something that makes you memorable."
Bought a companion ticket with my buddy Coop to New York that week
Paid for by a check from the 5th Avenue
Though Winkie nor Witch Melt never made it to my resume 
I learned a thing or two doing that show








No comments:

Post a Comment