Wednesday, February 10, 2021

6th GRADE VALENTINE




Oak Heights Elementary 
had classrooms with retractable walls
When opened, all three classes that made up 6th Grade would be one
We were in the same grade but different classes
When the walls opened
across the way
was a clear view of her face
I saw her take notes
smile
Wasn't sure what to call this feeling
Just knew when they opened the walls
I could see her light hair and dark round eyes
and smile
We didn't talk much
A little bit here or there at recess
Was never sure what to say
Didn't have the words
But passing through Sears one day I saw something
a table with a pyramid shaped display of giant Hershey Kisses
I'd eaten the little Kisses before
but I'd never seen a giant Kiss
in a BOX
with CELLOPHANE
THAT YOU COULD SEE THROUGH!
Valentines Day was coming
This-giant kiss in a box with cellophane that you could see through-was everything I couldn't say
Tradition at Oak Heights Elementary
on Feb 14th
was to tape a big manila envelope to the front of your desk
The walls would retract
everyone would drop a Valentine in the envelope
One for every kid in 6th grade
a little card
a piece of candy
Sometimes someone fancy would gift a box of Sweethearts
I wanted to take it next level
Saved up my allowance and secretly bought the giant Kiss sliding it safely under my bed
I was nervous about giving it to her
The timing had to be just right
Couldn't exactly slip the Kiss into the envelope taped to her desk
Had to be
when we were alone
and she would know 
that my feelings for her were like a giant Kiss in a box with cellophane that you could see through
Valentine's day came
Nervously I hid it in the space under my desk
Taped my folder to my desk
quickly handed out all but the one
then waited
and waited
and waited
When I opened the Valentine from her my heart leapt
It read,
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
Love,
Beth
I was ecstatic
Love!
It was written RIGHT there!
I was dizzy
I wanted to reach under my desk and dazzle her with oversized chocolate display of my affection
I didn't care if the rest of the class saw
This 
This love was reciprocal
Might as well make it public
Curt next to me let out a small gasp
He just opened his valentine from Beth
It read,
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
LOVE
underline
underline
underline,
Beth
There were three lines drawn under the word love
THREE
My heart sunk
It was clear
she loved Curt
3 times more than me
Stunned I slumped home and stashed the secret present
For a couple of days I didn't know what to do
It sat there under my bed
in the dark
Then one day
I reached down
broke through the cellophane
removed the giant Kiss from it's box
and
ate it
I pity ate that whole darn kiss
So, 
that's the story 
of how a little heartache
led to a big bellyache 






No comments:

Post a Comment