Tuesday, August 20, 2019

8th GRADE DANCE

It was the 8th grade dance
End of the year
Next year we were headed to Lynnwood High
To be freshman
But THIS was the 8th grade dance
Let me spin it back for you
1982
I have my date
She's pretty
She's nice
She's smart
Michelle
The corsage moment is totally awkward

But the dance is fun
There's this one moment when I try the knee slide on the dance floor
You know the knee slide move
Well, turns out that doesn't work well with polyester slacks
Burnt my knees
Left two holes in my fancy dance pants
But still
I'm feeling good
Confident
It's time to make my move
and ask Michelle to "Go with me."
Yeah, "Go with me."
That's how you asked a girl to be your girlfriend back in the day
"Will you go with me?"
I don't know why
I didn't make up the rules
She said, "yes"
I was elated
Then she excused herself to the restroom
I had a girlfriend!
who was
pretty
and
nice
and smart
Then she came out of the bathroom and broke up with me
Shortest relationship ever

No comments:

Post a Comment