Saturday, August 3, 2019

BOSTON


It was cool and dark underneath
I had to duck to get out of the dugout and onto the field
The doorway was small
Well, there wasn't a door
Just a rectangle
with light streaming in
It was kind of like emerging from a cave
To Fenway
I'd been asked to sing The National Anthem
Honored and thrilled
I said, "Yes"
The PR staff were amazing
When I told them my nephew was a Red Sox fan
They hooked me up with all sorts of swag
In rehearsal the sound guy asked me,
"Do you want to pre-record and lip sync?"
"What? No!"
"Most do. There is a significant delay from the speakers in the outfield."
"I want to sing it live."
"Okay, well I suggest you keep time by tapping your foot or something and try not to listen to the speakers. Just sing."
Now I'm a little bit scared
Then I get a lot of bit scared
It's the National Anthem
In Boston
I've sung it many many times among the crowd
To sing it in front of a crowd not a part of the crowd is a little bit different
For me it all comes down to two words
Fight
and
Night
They are interchangeable
Either way the story still works
But you better get it right in Boston
I am patriotic
although I loathe The Patriots
There is no teleprompter
I'm facing away from the words on the screen
and sing
The delay is very difficult
I get the words correct
The pace is a little slow
But I get through it
Sound alright
The experience is incredible
But kind of like skydiving
Once is enough




No comments:

Post a Comment