Sunday, October 6, 2019

INTERJECTIONS!

It was the opening night party
I was feeling awkward
Not unusual
Not so good at opening night parties
"Great job!"
"Wonderful!"
"You looked like you were having fun up there."
These sound nice
Except for the last one
But it usually feels hollow
Compliments can be much harder to accept than one might think
I've been told one should accept a compliment
A simple "Thank you," is my go to response
Sometimes if you KNOW a person is sincere
Like they have a tear in their eyes
It can be moving and uplifting
Encouraging
So this opening night
When a sharply dressed and attractive woman
Said, "That was a really well done show. Congratulations!"
I said, "Thank you."
And looked at her quizzically
"Lynn Ahrens," she said
Holy crap! I thought
She along with Stephen Flaherty had written it
RAGTIME
I thanked her again
She was gracious
Little did I know that she had not only affected my life as a grown man
But she had affected my life as a child
She wrote many of the Schoolhouse Rock songs
I can't say how many hours I spent in front of the TV
Saturdays
Eating Cocoa Puffs
Watching these informative cartoons
Hours
and hours
of Cocoa Puffs and or Lucky Charms
and Schoolhouse Rock
with some Scooby Doo mixed in
I'm glad she took the moment to introduce herself
This woman who had changed my life
from 8
to 36
Even if I didn't know it
WOW!
INTERJECTIONS


No comments:

Post a Comment