Saturday, April 6, 2019

McDonalds

On my 16th birthday my Mom took me to McDonalds
It was my request
Big fan of the quarter pounder
We're sitting there
I'm eating my fries
And she says, "You know you're sixteen now you need to get a job."
Didn't really see that coming
I was pretty busy with jazz band and swim team
But I knew she meant it
My folks got me a car
I needed to pay for gas and insurance
Okay, I thought and walked up to the counter
"Can I get a job application?"
"One moment"
A woman approaches
"Fill this out. Are you available for an interview in 10 minutes?"
I was
I got hired right there on my sixteen birthday
I thought I would work at the register
Nope 
Cook
Not sure how it works at McDonalds today
But in 1984 we actually cooked the food
On grills
In grease
They had a good system with timers to tell you when to flip the burgers
They had temperatures that were set
We had to learn all that but it was tight
Except
That those of us in the kitchen had to estimate how much to make
You'd make the cheeseburger
Slide it down the bin
Slide a number behind it
which was ten minutes from the round clock on the wall
12:58
You pick up an 8 and slide it behind the burgers
10 minutes
If it didn't sell in that time it went into a bin
To throw away
It was counted at the end of the night
It was registered
Within about 8 months
I start getting put in charge 
Calling The Shots
I'm not even 17 years old
"Put down 12, 3 quarters, 2 filet of fish, 3 McChicken. NUGGETS! WE NEED NUGGETS!"
The fry guy was in charge of his station
I liked it though
There was pressure
There was work
But it did feel good as a young person to have some authority in life
What didn't feel good was sometimes getting home around 2am
Closing
Jazz band was at 6:30am
I was making $3.35 an hour
Working for gas
At that time that's about 4 gallons an hour
Not bad
Hard work though
But I DID have fun

TWO STORIES

One time a guy came in and asked for extra extra extra pickles
I took it as a challenge
I spent time layering pickle after pickle
It was the biggest pickle burger you've ever seen
I sent it down the slide
"PICKLE BURGER!"
Off it goes
A few minutes later the guy comes back
"That's the best burger I've ever eaten."

Another time a customer orders
"Filet o Fish, extra Tartar."
Well this is a little tricky
The tarter is shot from a gun
I'm not joking
You squeeze the gun
And it distributes the perfect amount
According to Ray Croc
And that makes it easy for a 17 year old chef
So, I do the first squeeze
Then a bit of the second
Just a bit
It's already a lot of tartar
A lot
Customer comes back
"I said extra tartar"
A new filet o fish come out of the oil
And I drown it
It worked for pickle guy
I can barely close the Styrofoam container
Customer is irate
"Is this some sort of joke??!!!!"

Win some you lose some






No comments:

Post a Comment