Sunday, April 7, 2019

Showstopper

The Pirate Queen
Broadway
2007
Previews
Hilton Theater
Full audience
Show was written by the guys who did Les Mis and Saigon
I was a pirate
One scene early in the show
HERE ON THIS NIGHT
Hadley Frazier and Stephanie Block
Sang this beautiful duet
I was suspended above the stage
On the ship's spar
15 feet up
I don't like heights
Never have
But it was a special place to watch and hear this gorgeous duet
At the end of the song a battle with the English erupted
We would repel
From the spar
Pull our swords
And start our fight choreography
I can repel
Blades...I'm cool
But this day
I jump off the spar
Repel
Looking down the whole while
And my long pirate wig
Gets caught in the gear
Stopping me about 8 inches from the ground
I can't release myself
But I'm close to a cannon
Kick my legs
Stretch out for the cannon
My toe touches it
And then I swing away
Swords and battle are happening all around
I'm kicking my feet
Reaching desperately for that cannon
HOLD!
HOLD!
Blasts over the speakers
The stage
Empties
And I'm there swinging alone
2 crew guys come out
One grabs me
Suddenly my head feels cool
The other crew guy removed my wig
Revealing my wig cap and pin curls
The audience
Laughs
I'm super embarrassed
After a few minutes we restart the fight sequence
Large applause
Guess I can always say
For one day I was a showstopper on Broadway




No comments:

Post a Comment