Friday, April 19, 2019

PROBLEM SOLVED

The moment after I was hired for the tour of Les Miserables I walked out of the audition room and right to a pay phone mounted on the wall.
This was before cell phones. Well, they existed but were the size of a brick and expensive as heck. So I drop some quarters into the phone and call the theater where I am hired to do a show in the summer. It's an equity gig though I'm non-union.
I did sign the contract.
In the audition room when I explained this to Richard he said, "Don't worry about it. They'll let you out for a Production Contract."
So I tell them, "I booked Les Mis. I can't do the show.," and didn't worry about it.
I went back home to Seattle and waited to hear when I was called to work.
Contracts were being drawn up.
But I still didn't have a firm starting date when my phone rang one day.
It was the director of the show in Seattle.
"You failed to give us two weeks notice in writing," he says.
"I called you six weeks ago!"
"You failed to give us notice in writing. It's a requirement in the Equity handbook."
"I'm not Equity," I say
"You signed an Equity contract. You owe us two weeks salary for breaking your contract."
I was broke.
Hadn't even seen my Les Miserables contract yet.
"I don't have a $1000 dollars! Wait, what is that money for?"
"It's to compensate for extra auditions," he responds dryly.
I happened to know who they hired.
It was a friend.
Bob.
I know they just went, "Well they were equally matched we'll go with Bob."
There were no extra auditions.
So I start to get mad.
This theater which was floundering was trying to squeeze a grand out of a 26 year old actor on a technicality.
It was gross.
I get angry.
Then a thought comes across my brain.
"You know," I say, "I haven't signed my Les Mis contract yet. I don't even know when's my starting day. Hmmmm what is the first day of rehearsal? I can make it. Is Bob under contract? Oh, then you'd have to pay both of us. I probably won't be able to make opening night but if I get that written notice to you by tomorrow we're good right?"
There is a LONG pause on the other end of the line.
"I don't think there is a need for that."
Problem solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment