Sunday, February 24, 2019

Children's Theater

My first paying gig as an actor was Seattle Children's Theater
I was so proud when I got my first paycheck that I kept it and put it in a scrapbook
It was fun
Doing shows for kids is special cause they really buy in and are with you on the journey
We had a bit in the show where we'd gotten separated and lost each other
We'd walk on the stage backwards and at center stage we'd pivot and walk off the other way
Totally not seeing each other
The kids would lose their minds screaming "She's right behind you!!!"
It was awesome
There was a day when for some reason there were no kids
Well there was one
One kid
I went to the director and asked, "Are we doing this show?"
The guy was kind of a creep but I respect that he said, "Yes. You have an audience."
It really doesn't matter if you play for 55 or 2000 or even one
I learned that that day
So this kid got the show of his life
We brought him on stage and into the play
He did the show with us
It is a precious memory to me
I sometimes wonder if he remembers it or if he went on to become an actor
I'll never know

No comments:

Post a Comment