Thursday, February 14, 2019

Crossing Guard

When I was in 4th or 5th grade at Ridgecrest Elementary in Shoreline, Wa I was offered a position as a crossing guard.
We had this big hill with a four way stop right in front of our school.
The kids, well, we all walked home.
I had a chain around my neck with a key on it.
Latch Key they call it.
They lured me in by saying I'd be getting out of class 15 minutes early.
Course, I learned quickly that crossing guard meant you get home about an hour later.
That meant I'd miss The Bugaloos.
But I loved crossing guard.
They gave us an orange vest, a hard hat and a flag and said, "Make sure it's safe."
So as a 10 year old I would walk out into the street, a busy street mind you, and direct traffic.
I'd put my flag up.
Everyone would stop.
It was pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment