Wednesday, May 22, 2019

MARINERS


I started watching baseball as a little kid
They showed games on TV after cartoons
They mostly showed the best team in baseball
The Cincinnati Reds
I started to root for that team
Then I grew to love them
Johnny Bench
Pete Rose
Joe Morgan
Griffey
The Big Red Machine
Amazing!
Then in 1977 WE got a team!
The Seattle Mariners!
I learned the line-up
Billy and I could quote them back and forth
(Fun fact, Danny Kaye was one of the original owners of the M's)
Danny Kaye!
You don't know him?
Well, if I wasn't watching baseball, I was watching him
Thumbelina
White Christmas
The Court Jester
He's hilarious!
So, back to baseball
I grew to love my team
They weren't good
But they were my team from MY town
In the mid 90's we got good
Griffey...Jr.
Randy
Edgar
with Lou at the helm
It was fun
So
much fun
Then the M's hit their stride
In 2001 we finished with the best season ever in baseball history
116 wins!
and lost to the Yankees in the playoffs
You're bound to think this is strange
But I cheered and cried when we lost
I cheered when my beloved team didn't go to the World Series
How is that?
I was in New York, at Blondies on the upper west side
One of my favorite places for wings and beer
With friends
I'm the only guy wearing a Mariners hat in the bar
I got a little bit a business from a few guys but it's not bad
I'm rooting for my team but when we lose
I cheer
How could I possibly cheer?
Why would I cry and sing "New York, New York." with love in my heart?!
Because
It was just after 9/11
New York was hurting...badly
and in that moment
in that bar
New York felt relief and joy
It was palpable
and I was happy
Sometimes things are bigger than sports
So I'm always going to root for my Charlie Brown team
Someday we'll get there
I love them
But for one moment I can weep and cheer for another side







No comments:

Post a Comment