Wednesday, May 8, 2019

STAR STRUCK

It was an after-after party in New York.
Don't remember how I got invited.
It was a small gathering and we were celebrating a birthday.
It was my teen-age hero.
Watched all his stuff.
Loved it.
I don't really get star struck.
I guess a few composers have had me in awe.
What they create is incredible.
But actors.
Not often.
But
This guy is who I wanted to be growing up.
He was funny.
He could act.
He was handsome.
And this was his birthday party.
And he was sitting right there on the couch.
By himself, while others chatted and laughed and drank.
So I took a big swig and steeled myself to go talk to him.
I approach him.
"Happy birthday," I say.
And then my by brain freezes.
I admire your work.
You've been an influence in my life.
I think I've seen everything you've done.
What was it like working with Neil Simon?
Any of those would have been okay.
Nope.
I blurt out,  "I really liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off!"
THAT IS WHAT I SAID.
"Thank you," he said politely.
I shuffled off and left him there on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment