Sunday, May 12, 2019

SUNSET BOWL

Down in Ballard there was a bowling alley called, SUNSET BOWL.
My buddies Eric and Dan lived a couple blocks away.
We'd go there once in a while.
It was fun.
We'd pile into the 62 Cadillace we bought together and go the three or four blocks to the alley.
We didn't have much money so we'd only play a couple games.
Sometimes to up the stakes we'd make a bet.
Loser has to run around yelling, "I'm a loser!"
That sort of juvenile thing.
This night we bet that the person that has the lowest score has to run home in only his underwear.
It's a hilarious proposition and we all agree.
Late in the game I'm not winning but I'm way ahead of Scott.
Scott is doomed for the underwear run.
I'm bowling a decent game.
But I get cocky.
The Raineer beer has really kicked in so I start bowling.
Between my legs.
Backwards even.
Laughing all the while.
I throw one in the gutter and finish my game.
Scott comes up.
10th frame.
He needs three strikes in a row.
I'm not sure if he hit a strike the entire game.
STRIKE
STRIKE
STRIKE
and I'm in last place.
I couldn't believe it.
But you know I'm not gonna mooch on a bet.
So, I strip down to my tighty whiteys and start running back to the house.
I didn't think it was going to be a big deal.
It was dark.
About 4 blocks away.
But the guys jump into the Caddy hit the high beams behind me and start honking the horn.
Porch-lights start popping on as I sprint in my Fruit of the Looms.
So embarrassing.
Also funny and a lesson.
The game aint over till the game over.




No comments:

Post a Comment