Saturday, June 1, 2019

ATLANTA

It's the day of my first performance in Miss Saigon
I've had about a week to learn Chris
I've great coaches and everything is on point
But, you know, I'm nervous
So, I decide to go to the YMCA
Work it out
There is a basketball game going on in the gym
It's a pick-up game
I've played pick-up for many years at many different locations
This is 5 on 5
Full court
That's a workout
Winning team stays on the court for the next game
Losing team is off the court and reassembled with the guys on the side waiting to play
I waited to play till it was my turn
The game is good
The guys are good
and it's helping me to release tension
I'm having fun playing ball with these men I don't know
Then I come down
from a rebound
and step on a foot
My ankle pops
It's bad
Someone runs over grabs my high tops and pulls the laces TIGHT
"You need to keep this elevated and on ice right away."
These men I didn't know were helpful and kind
Let's remember
This is opening night for me in Miss Saigon
The producer who hired me had flown to Atlanta
My ankle was swollen and really messed up
"You can't not do the show," someone said at the theater
Luckily, Chris wears big tall Marine boots
I laced them tight
Did the show
I'm no Marine
Not even close
But that day I played one on stage

No comments:

Post a Comment