Sunday, June 9, 2019

EDGE OF A LEDGE

It was my first performance on tour with Les Miserables
I couldn't have been more thrilled
I signed in and got ready for the show
But
I didn't read the call sheet correctly
There was a 5 minute fight call
Before half hour
(in parenthesis)
I missed it
First day
I didn't know though
Got through the show
Excited 
I exited stage right
and was handed an envelope
"Thank you!" I said
The ASM laughed
I'd been written up
1st day!
I missed that fight call
Being written up is a big deal
A letter goes to Equity
A letter goes to your agent
It's not good
A couple weeks later
I got written up again
For being 30 seconds late
No joke
30 seconds
Late is late
This is truth
I learned this lesson
Learned to be early!
Not on time
EARLY
It's best anyway
Gives one time to chill

My Stage Manager is actually a nice guy
Hard ass but nice
Also really helpful teaching me Valjean
So when he invites me to visit
The Grand Canyon
with him and Kelly
I said, "Yes!"
Never been to the Grand Canyon

Kelly was ill and had to wear gloves
Which I didn't understand
He was allergic to sunlight?
Of course there were vampire jokes
He was kind
Gentle
Not a vampire
He was a sweet man
A friend

We got to the cabin after dark
It was deep in the park
You couldn't see much of anything but stars
We settle in and head into the black night
We sit on the edge of a ledge and pass a bottle of Maker's Mark around
The sage
The foliage
Smells so good
It's nice
We found a special place
"It's THE GRAND CANYON!!!!" I shout
Couldn't see anything
It's a fun night
Sharing stories

When I wake in the morning and stumble out to our spot
I SEE the grand canyon
It's
Indescribable!
My knees buckle
There is a 500 or 1000 foot drop from where we were sitting passing a bottle
in the dark
Sitting on the edge

By the way
I don't recommend taking a Cessna flying tour of The Grand Canyon the morning after drinking whisky







No comments:

Post a Comment