Wednesday, June 5, 2019

WHISTLE

6:05 PM
Rehearsal should be over
The cast was called at 10 AM
It's a strict start time
You can NOT be late
I learned this lesson the hard way years ago
Actor's Equity union has firm rules
At first as a young actor I balked at some of these
But over time I learned their importance
and found comfort in knowing exactly what the boundaries were
6 PM hit and rehearsal kept going
This is where stage management normally calls end of day and interrupts the director
The problem was
The director was also the producer and a very wealthy and powerful man
He had a football (soccer) team
Everton
I liked him
For the most part he was congenial
I mean, he hired me
Paid me well
Not as well as his soccer team
But still, he cared about the show
He was an Englishman and might not have been aware of our rules
My blood sugar was low
I was hangry
A few of the lead performers were called at 9:30am
They were in overtime
Now sometimes a rehearsal runs over just a little bit
And some theaters don't mind if you are a few minutes late
But that's not how I was taught the business
If you were late by 30 seconds you're late
Period.
Conversely rehearsal ended at 6pm
These are hard and fast rules
Some muttering begins among stage management
But nothing is said
6:07
6:09
6:10
The muttering increases but no one has the nerve to speak up
Bill notices the commotion, throws up his arms and exclaims, "What's the problem here?"
And then I respond
It just comes out of me
"THE PROBLEM IS you have a 16 year old lead who should have been cut more than half an hour ago and the rest of us were called till 6!"
Silence
The air leaves the room
"We're marking the overtime everyone," says a stage manager
Mr. Kenwright pauses for a moment
Composes himself and says,
"Alright young lady you are released."
He gives a few brief notes to the cast
and then he says, "You are all released except for the Snake Preacher"
That's me
"We're going to work Wrestle With The Devil."
It's a brutal song
One of the hardest I've ever had to learn
At the end of the day to work on something so complicated
Well, it's diminished returns
But I walk over to the piano as the room empties
The pianist/music directors eyes are like saucers
As I approach he says, "Are you okay?"
"No," I say "this feels like retribution"
From over my shoulder in stern British accent I hear,
"NO it isn't and that's the second stupid thing you've said today!"
He was right behind me
Then he counts off the piano and I'm singing
I was sure I was going to get fired
But the next day
When I sheepishly walked into rehearsal
He gave me a smile and a big hug
I was shocked
He treated me with much respect after that
I think he appreciated someone standing up and giving him the truth
Plus he realized I actually saved him a butt load of money
The cast tried to make me Equity Deputy
I declined
"My work is done here," I said



No comments:

Post a Comment