Saturday, March 16, 2019

Glide

I'm in the locker room before the swim meet
I'm showered
Got my goofy Speedos on
Ready for the meet to start
We used to get these break downs on who was our competition
What was their fastest time
That sort of thing
I always raced against myself
Part of the reason I loved swim team
I was done with aggressive banging up against someone sort of sports
I wanted to challenge myself
Swimming
Is hard
You can hardly breathe
It's also mental
I'd count my stokes
Try and find a rhythm
Relaxing
Gliding through the water
Not fighting it
This huge blonde kid from the other team bursts into the locker room
He's holding the meet sheet
"Which one is Stone?"
He shouts!
He shouts again!!!
"I am."
He walks up and pokes his finger in my chest
"You're going down Stone!"
When we get to the race
100 Free
He's on the blocks beside me
"Swimmers take your mark"
Bang
I'm off
I glide
Hit my flip
Dolphin kick
and I glide
and swim the rest of the race against me
When he touches the wall I am standing over his lane
Drying myself with a towel



No comments:

Post a Comment