Thursday, March 28, 2019

STAGE MANAGERS

It was opening night of Oklahoma! in Raleigh, NC 2000
I was nervous
Of course I was
It was opening night
But I kind of felt like I was supposed to play Curly
The Overture starts and it sounds amazing
I think, okay let's do this thing
We had good rehearsals
A good cast
Although Aunt Eller for the first two weeks was the  assistant stage manager Andrew
Actually really grew fond of him as Aunt Eller
As I'm about to take the stage
I think, Oh What a Beautiful Morning
I'm ready
As the orchestra starts to slow down
I realize
Oh What A Beautiful Morning
Is not how the song starts
And my brain freezes
There is a moment of panic
How does it start?
I grab the stage manager with both hands
HOW DOES IT START?
"there's a bright golden..."
And I'm on stage
"THERE'S A BRIGHT GOLDEN HAZE ON THE MEADOW"
GOD BLESS STAGE MANAGERS
OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNIN' LIVE Raleigh, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment